Thursday, June 4, 2009

I'm nothin' if I can't have You

I was listening to a song the other day by Wes Carr of Australian Idol fame. Now I usually don't admit to listening to AI contestants but I'm putting aside my pride for this one. The song is called 'You' and I was struck by the lyrics:

Got guitars I have never played
Every Elvis album ever made
Got the cars that I should learn to drive
could have a house that would blow your mind

I’ve been to places all around the world
I’ve seen the faces of so many girls
never thought I would fall in love
and with the songs I write I’m not enough

You can take what I got cause I don’t got nothing
worth havin I if I aint got you
You can take what you want cause I don’t want nothing
I’m nothing, if I don’t have you

Now, bad english aside, there are some great little reminders in there for us.

1, Without God in our lives we may as well have nothing, because nothing can fill that God-shaped hole and nothing can give us what He promises.

2, Without Gods provision we would have nothing. We act like we're doing God a favour giving Him little bits and pieces when really it all comes from Him in the first place and He deserves nothing less than to have it all given back.

3, We are nothing without God. It is in Him we 'live and move and have our being' (Acts 17:28) and it is through His love, grace, mercy and salvation we become whole, the people we were meant to be.

Thanks Wes.

No comments:

Post a Comment